The Lamplighter Movement
Fill the world with Lamplighters
Change the face of a crying child
from this……………………. to …….. this.
Children of an untreated victim of childhood sexual abuse stand a five times greater chance of being abused themselves.
Punch a hole in the darkness!!
Become a Lamplighter
The Lamplighter Movement currently has 82 chapters in 10 countries
Please see our new Pinpoints of Light page on the left sidebar under Navigation
We must all stand together so that none must stand alone!
Provide a “home away from home” for other survivors,
a safe place where they can tell their story.
Support for adult survivors of child sexual abuse,
incest, domestic violence, rape and sexual assault
We were not all created equal…
Some of us were sexually abused.
The Lamplighter Movement Salutes……
Pastor Ezekiel Kiyai, Facilitator for Lamplighter Movement from Kenya, Africa
Children in the poor, underdeveloped countries are being supported by churches and charities on both large and small level in many ways. A good example of helpful charity work is the inspiring story of a group of children taught life-supporting lessons by a man whose life mission is helping the helpless.
In the small village of Ogwedhi Maasai, of Migori-Suna, in Kenya, Pastor Ezekiel Kiyai of the local church works with 34 orphan children of both genders, who were victim of sexual abuse at one point or another in their lives. Ranging in age from 5 to 15 years, these children have been taken in by Pastor Ezekiel’s church members who volunteered to provide these children homes.
As part of his recovery work with children, the Pastor is going to offer lessons from the book REPAIR for Kids by Marjorie McKinnon, Founder of The Lamplighter Movement. The book has been a valuable resource for children of sexual abuse as it includes a special recovery program for young victims of sexual abuse and/or incest. As McKinnon tells, the Pastor came to learn of her book via the Internet. She then sent him a copy of the book for reading, and he found it an invaluable resource for recovery and support work with children.
To help with the cause taken on by Pastor Ezekiel Kiyai, the Loving Healing Press, publisher of REPAIR for Kids is providing 30 free copies of the book to Pastor Ezekiel’s group of orphan and abused children.
Marjorie McKinnon values the work of her publisher in making a difference I the lives of those who need it. In her words, “Because of this press, children in Africa will grow up healthier and happier after such terrible things have happened to them.”
Victor R. Volkman, Publisher and President at Loving Healing Press remarked, “Public service is an essential part of our mission and we are proud to support charities around the world with access to the vital healing resources that our authors have provided. I applaud Pastor Ezekiel and it is my greatest pleasure to contribute to his work with child victims of abuse.”
(Pastor Ezekiel desperately needs someone to sponsor him. He needs food for the children. It would take so little. If you would like to sponsor Pastor Ezekiel and his children please contact me at email@example.com)
Angela Shelton – writer, director, actress, model, screenwriter, superhero, producer, film maker, comedian, teacher, author of Finding Angela Shelton
“Margie’s REPAIR books are a wonderful tool in the healing process. They are comprehensive, useful, and very much needed in the world. If you or someone you love is on the pathway to recovery then most certainly do the REPAIR work.“
Angela Shelton and me
The Lamplighter Movement salutes the work of
Ark of Hope and their statistics
- Child rape occurs every two minutes
- 1 in 3 girls will be sexually molested before the age 17
- 1 in 6 boys will be sexually molested before the age 17 (1 in 5 in Canada)
- A sex offender will molest an average of 120 victims, most of whom do not report it
- 90% of molesters abuse children they know
- Oftentimes, a sexually abused child is abused in other ways
Overall U.S. child abuse statistics
- Every 10 seconds a child is abused or raped
- 3.3 million child abuse reports in 2010
- For every report 2 more go unreported = many millions abused annually
- 61,000 reports to Child Protective services per week = 6 per minute
- Of 1.5 million runaways 85% are fleeing some form of abuse
- Only 10% of abusers do not know their abuser well
- Abuse victims = about 48% male, 52% female
- Every race and religion sees child abuse
Rescue the frightened child inside of you.
The REPAIR program took me from being married to my third abuser, suicidal, filled with despair and living part time in a women’s shelter to being the happiest person I know. Isn’t it time you were REPAIRed?. ……. Marjorie
All illustrations by Tom W. McKinnon
Stop the Silence at http://stopthesilence.org is helping to establish and promote Lamplighter survivor groups in collaboration with The Lamplighter Movement.
A CHILD’S BILL OF RIGHTS
1. A child has the right to decide who can and cannot touch any part of their body.
2. A child has the right, in fact the duty, to report to a safe person any time someone attempts to touch their body inappropriately.
3. A child has the right to set boundaries regarding any part of their own body.
4. A child has the right to dial 911 on the phone if they think they are in any danger from someone wanting to touch their body inappropriately and ask for help NOW.
5. A child has the right to be believed if they are honestly reporting any danger from someone touching or attempting to touch their body inappropriately.
6. A child has the right to run away or scream for help if someone approaches them in a manner that seems scary or “yucky”.
Please read these RIGHTS to your child frequently. They belong to them. Help them to understand what each one means.
Tell your child frequently:
“Your body belongs to you; you can decide who touches it.”
Copyright (c) 2011 by Marjorie McKinnon. All Rights Reserved.